Monday, November 12, 2007

Thing 18: getting it write

Zing! Puntastic pun-times!

I've been using Google Documents to handle documents for a while now. I had a job for a while writing music reviews, and as it was kind of fitting between other jobs and study I needed a way to quickly get to my files on whatever computer I was near, without worrying about what format is was in. So I used Google Docs, and this worked pretty well. I tried convincing the magazine I wrote for to do the same, but you can't rush these things.

I see Zoho (in which I'm writing this) is similar to Googlde Docs, but much more complex. The formatting panel in Zoho Writer is closer to what you'd find in a desktop word processor, rather than a the rich text style WYSIWYG formatting normally found online. I'm a little unsure whether I would consider this an advantage - I really do like to write with only basic formatting. A simple text editor, for example. Formatting can come later.

Zoho goes a long way to providing the full suite of office applications - presentations, spreadsheets, databasing, conferencing, et al, etc. More than I can see myself needing, to be frank. But it's impressive that they're available as Web Apps.

I notice Google Docs seems to roll out new features more slowly. Perhaps because they're making sure they're getting things right? Maybe, but it still doesn't work right in Safari.

EDIT: I used the "publish" feature in Zoho Writer to publish this post, and then came straight in and edited it. Mostly because the formatting was a little off. One could learn the ins and outs of the way the formatting changes between Zoho and Blogger, but one would adise one to keep it simple and just post from the Blogger Dashboard. I mean, you're online anyway. It just makes sense.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It seemed to have problems working in Mozilla firefox as well.

I'm scared to know my work can follow me anyplace :)