Monday, November 12, 2007

Thing 19: I have been censored

I should've known it was all too good to be true. I show up to work and get told "hey, go on MySpace and YouTube during work hours and we'll give you a free MP3 player!" It seemed made up, not the kind of thing that happens in the modern net-policed workforce. "What about my productivity?" I cried, "certain web-blocking software companies insist it will go out the window, even though there is some suggestion otherwise!"

The management in me was very satisfied to see a WebMarshal message today when I tried to navigate to Web 2.0 Award winner Meebo for Thing 19. Ever since that "Access Denied" message life around here has felt normal again. It's nice to know the guys down at the IT lab are working on my case.

Don't try looking while you're at work, but Meebo is a snazzy Web2.0 communication tool. Ever chatted on a network like ICQ, MSN, Yahoo Chat, or Google Talk? The annoying thing about these is each one has a separate application, or separate page, with different logins and so on. Software like Pidgin or Adium allows you to combine all the protocols into one handy application, but sometimes you're just not allowed to install an application.

This is where Meebo comes in. It's a web app, obviously, which combines all these chat protocols and allows you to talk to all your different contacts in the same window, wherever you are.

Unless you're at work of course.

No, I didn't hack around the WebMarshal to find all this out. I just knew it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Meebo sounds almost too good to be true. No wonder webmarshal denies access ;D